Friday, September 6, 2013

Raw Bites

bites in stacks of varying heights, resembling poker ships
I'll see your poker chips and 
raise you a tasty snack.
Fruit and nut bar success! Unlike my last attempt at the raw food snack bar cookie thing, I ditched recipes and followed my instinct. Turns out, it's pretty sharp. Or, that making this kind of thing is so ridiculously easy, you'd really have to be over-thinking it to screw it up... 

I had a bunch of seedy, nutty odds and ends that needed using, so I combined their powers into the following recipe.

Make Room fer Raw Bites (raw, vegan)
makes 2 cups of paste, variable servings
1 Cup dried dates, pitted and soaked for about 30 minutes 
1/2 Cup almonds 
1/2 Cup rolled oats
1/4 Cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 Cup sunflower seeds
1/4 Cup sesame seeds
small handful macadamia nuts
1Tbsp coconut oil 
1-2 Tbsp vanilla
  1. Put all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend on a low to mid setting. The tamp will only get you so far on this one, I had to stop that blender and scrape the sides several times.

    (I typically like my fruit-nut bites with a lot of texture, but if I was going for a smoother consistency, I'd grind the nuts and seeds into a meal or flour before blending. This would also be a good idea if you look around your kitchen and don't see a high speed blender.)

  2. Once everything is mixed into a fairly homogeneous paste, form the paste into little bite sized pieces with your hands. I got 27. You could also make balls, bars, really any shape. Got a cookie cutter? Go crazy.

  3. You can eat them right away, or chill in the fridge for a couple hours first. Store in fridge or freezer. I see a lot of recipes that recommend separating each bite or bar with plastic wrap or some such, but I never bother.
This recipe is one of dozens (hundreds? thousands?) that you could make: experiment with other dried fruits instead of the dates or use a nut butter; sub your own favorite nuts and seeds; add chocolate, shaved coconut, or other flavorings; make it savory rather than sweet. Here are some tasty looking recipes from Counter Culture Living. Here are some more from 100 Days of Real Food.

Take THAT, added salt and sugar, preservatives, and unnecessary soy!

No comments:

Post a Comment